Welcome to another entry of ‘This Week at the Q’ and our top 5 highlights!
1. For every ransomware attack we see in the news, there are hundreds of others that don’t get reported. And with each successful attack comes downtime, revenue losses, and damaged reputation. Diana Salazar, Product Marketing Manager, published a new blog, “The Best Ransomware Protection Comes with a Physical Layer.” As cyber criminals get more sophisticated to penetrate networks and take control of digital assets, read how ‘offline’ Active Vault technology can add a security layer for ransomware protection.
2. Announcing LTO-9 – read more here ! The new LTO generation 9 delivers 18 TB of native capacity per cartridge (up to 45 TB with a typical compression of 2.5:1). As organizations manage ever-growing unstructured data, LTO-9’s capacity, density and performance enhances Quantum Scalar tape library capabilities to archive this data securely and reliably, with minimal management.
LTO-9 will be available in Quantum Scalar i6 and i6000 tape libraries, and StorNext AEL archive systems, beginning in December 2020, and in Scalar i3 and i500, SuperLoader 3 and stand-alone drives in the first quarter of 2021. Information on our LTO-9 pre-purchase program can be found here .
3. This week, insideHPC covered Genomics England’s work to sequence millions of genomes, and how their storage environment expanded from 40 PB to more than 100 PB as they expanded to sequence the genomes of up to 35,000 people with the COVID-19 virus. Their new environment is also helping reduce storage costs by 75% per genome. Read more here .
4. Will you be at the Critical National Infrastructure online event , September 15-16? We’d love to connect! You can also learn about our security infrastructure portfolio, including NVR recording servers, hyperconverged appliances, video analytics services, and archive storage, here .
5. Join us and our partner, ViON, at this special virtual event, “Managing the Cost and Complexity of Data Storage within Federal Agencies.” What goes better with an informative webinar on archiving, data retention and disaster recovery than a great cup of coffee? Joining the conversation on keeping pace in an Exabyte world, when data growth is explosive and budget is tight, is USMC veteran and owner of Axhead Coffee Roasters, Jesse Jordan, who will also share his insights on making a great cup of coffee. All attendees will receive a complimentary package of Axhead’s most popular coffee!
Leave a comment if there are topics you’d like to see added to our weekly top 5 happenings!