Will Bowen has developed a tried-and-true way to spot chronic complaining, both in yourself and others, and to take simple, logical steps to change behavior, silence the complaining, and build a positive environment at work or at home.
In this presentation, CMMA conference attendees will learn:
• What’s wrong with complaining?
• What are chronic complaining’s destructive effects on health, relationships, and career.
• How complainers can be toxic to a team and destroy working relationships.
• What is, and isn’t a complaint?
• Five principal reasons people complain.
• How to get other people, and ourselves to stop complaining
Along the way, Mr. Bowen will teach us tips to demonstrate positive leadership in a negative world.
Do you have a “challenging” employee working for you? Do you have a new boss who doesn’t understand your value to the organization? Have you been struggling with the latest freelance and contractor rules? Are you seeking new ways to motivate your staff? If so, the CMMA Leadership Forum may have the answers.
A long-standing staple of every CMMA National Conference, the CMMA Leadership Forum, formerly known as the Management Topic-Go-Round, is a safe and open environment where media managers can bring up leadership issues, concerns, and problems and get advice from the best of the best in our business. The top media leaders in the country are there to help you gain the leadership skills to tackle those pesky issues at work.
This year, the Leadership Forum will be moderated by Dick Van Deusen, who has been a leader in corporate media his entire career, and a CMMA member for 40 of those years. Intimately familiar with the challenges of leadership and management in the media industry, Dick will facilitate answers and help connect attendees with others who can help drive for success.
Andy Kaufman, PMP
Presentation title: “That’s Not What I Meant!”
How can we be sure that we are communicating effectively with those upon who we depend to help craft our corporate and leadership messages, and how can we spot situations where the things go sideways because of communications breakdowns.
After participating in this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify key areas where breakdowns often occur with communication so they can be avoided
- Describe biases that make it more difficult for people to understand each other
- Summarize a 5-part model from neuroscience that can help communication be more effective
- Apply a 5-step process to improve their ability to be understood
Courageous Creativity —
Tools to Navigate, Challenge, and Instigate Change
How do we stay focused on what matters most while being flexible and innovative? How do we approach the personal, professional and planetary challenges before us with courageous creativity?
- Examine the key obstacles that holds us back from creating a culture of authenticity and innovation
- Learn insights from neuroscience research on creativity, improvisation, and cognitive flexibility
- Understand the mindset that helps us act decisively in the midst of uncertainty
- Leverage a fundamental tool of collaboration to increase empathy
- Discover for yourself, your organizations, and your communities how to embody leadership with clarity and confidence
The Bijou Experience!
Improved for 2018 – The Bijou Content Experience Showcase
CMMA Gives Back!
All you need are close-toed shoes, an open heart, and a willingness to have fun.
Welcome to The DeSoto
Official Hotel for CMMA’s 2018 National Conference
Overlooking Madison Square in the heart of Savannah’s Historic District, The DeSoto is a treasured landmark blending the elegance, history, and charm of one of America’s oldest cities with a generous dash of modern Southern hospitality. Warm smiles from long-tenured staff, a museum-worthy lobby art gallery showcasing the Savannah College of Art & Design, imaginative cocktails at Edgar’s Proof & Provision, and farm-fresh ingredients at 1540 Room – The DeSoto is a Savannah experience to be savored and celebrated.